Wednesday, December 28, 2011

We flew home on a Thursday night and Brandon watched the sun set over Missouri and all of the other states in between. There is nothing like Kansas City all lit up for Christmas, just right, that's how I would describe it.

We took off on Tuesday morning. It was still dark as we waited in the terminal at 5:30 AM for our flight to depart back to the suite life. In front of me a scene unfolded as a soldier hugged his three children goodbye countless times with tears streaming. Over and over again he would hold his baby's face in his hands, lift his young daughter for one more hug, and squeeze his son's shoulders tight as he looked him in the eye to say "I love you"... one more time. The kids were in their footed pajamas. He was in his uniform. I tried not to stare, or cry. It was breathtaking, but not in a good way. Not in a Christmas in Kansas City kind of way. In a painful, I-can't-imagine kind of way, that's how I would describe it.

The view from the clouds, witnessing goodbye's, experiencing hellos - our world is rich with emotion and beauty and goodness and love. Love wins, remember? Especially at Christmas time.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Those are the people (veterans) that I get to serve at work everyday. Such an amazing sacrifice!