Thursday, December 3, 2009

If you're looking for a bizarre assortment of gifts that would make a mom of two little princesses in your life happy - here you are. Although your recipient may not be as nerd-i-fied as this one. {Making a wish list for one's self feels so incredibly greedy and selfish, but my mom assures me that it is infinitely helpful for a Mom of no-longer-littles.}
x
1. Little House on the Prairie DVD set. This is no small prize, a full 60 DVDs highlighting every episode of the series. Me and my girlies could have Little House marathons for days-on-end...we could even dress in our pioneer costumes to set the mood!
x
2. World Map. Nerd alert. I really enjoy maps, and have been known to give them as gifts to an unsuspecting father of mine. This is on the top of my list for the simple fact that I want to point to where things are. I am a nerd, and I am visual. I need maps in my house.
x
3. More Sleep. Not pictured, because clearly I need more sleep. Totally skipped an entire number. And numbers leads to letters which takes us to...
x
4. Alphabeasties: And Other Animal Types. Fonts and graphics combine to create a zebra made of z's. An elephant made of e's. And a mother of littles smiling at pretty pictures that can inspire both art and learning in two princesses.
x
5. A Child's Day: An Alphabet of Play. Again with the alphabet, it's just so darn important. And these prints were recently featured on DesignMom. Again the art is beautiful and the fun of learning letters is all the better.
x
6. Blender. Otherwise known as Homemade Frap Machine. Yes, yes I have high hopes of blasting my family out of bed in the predawn hours before work as I cunningly defeat the Starbucks addiction wizardry by creating my own frap in the comfort of my once-quiet home.
x
7. I'll Be You and You Be Me. From the same author as A Hole is To Dig - this 1950s reproduction is calling my name. These illustrations are precious and the title alone makes this a must-read.
x
8. The Little Yellow Leaf. The fact that amazon introduces this book with this sentence is what sold me: "The human capacity for volition and fear of the unknown is central to this tale." I, too, have the capacity for volition and a fear of the unknown - as do my children - and together we shall journey with the little yellow leaf to see what can be done about it.
x
9. Big Susan. Another winner from the 1950s - which we have been reading on loan from my friend. The girls are on their second-read-through of this small chapter book. I love when a book resonates with my kiddos while allowing me the courtesy of enjoying the beautiful illustrations. Its a win-win.

No comments: