Tuesday, March 10, 2009

C realized about a month ago that Grandma's body had to be somewhere. As she inquired I saw two paths before me...to change the subject and leave her in the dark and perplexed, vulnerable to the first outlandish story she'd be exposed to having to do with death and dying - or tell her the truth. I opted for the very awkward to explain truth. Oddly her four-year-old innocence doesn't think it awkward at all. She is perfectly happy with the Heaven/grave concept and now insists on a visit before school almost weekly. Today was no different, and while we usually stay in the car for a quiet observance she decided today she would get out. She gently laid her silk rose from Valentine's day and then smiled at me and said "I bet she said 'Thank you' bery quietly". I hope I'm not completely messing her up, driving her to the cemetary to walk through the fog amongst the tombstones (certainly sounds harmless, right?)

1 comment:

Kari said...

Thanks for your comment - I'm happy to have made your day (and glad you didn't think I was a nut!)

What is it about death and dying that we're so afraid to talk about anyway? I think you made the right choice as your "C" certainly seems to understand things beyond her years.

I don't necessarily believe in astrology, but I came across this site when I was pregnant and I think you'll find it interesting in relation to your kiddos. Take it for what it's worth (just the first section): http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/astrology/scorpio-baby

From the posts I've read I thought it described Carolyn very well.