Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My church is hosting the author of this book in September for a two-day conference on 'Shame' and the power it holds over us. At first I thought this would only be a book for those dealing with some really severe mistakes in their past...actually it is for anyone and everyone. It is one of the most powerful books I have read in a long time - I would recommend the book to all - and if you're really up for it the conference should be great, too.
x
Here is what I read tonight that really stuck:
x
If we arrived on planet earth self-sufficient, we would be robbed of the most important developmental process of life - learning to trust that someone else is there for us. I gave my mother nothing when I was a baby. I spat on her shoulder, messed my diapers, and called upon her when she most wanted to sleep. But amazingly, she loved me. She cared for me and held me. Why? Unconsciously, I eventually could come to only one conclusion. She loved me because I was hers. I belonged.
x
The first and most important thing you could ever know about a relationship with God is that He set His affection upon you before you ever contributed anything to Him. That's what grace is. A gift. The gospel is this simple.
x
God says, "I love you because you are Mine."
x
You say, "But I have nothing but spit and dirty diapers to offer You."
x
God says, "I love you so much that I would die for you. Even if you spit upon my shoulder, soil upon my creation, and call upon me in the middle of the night, I will love you. Even if I have to change a thousand dirty diapers, I love you more than enough to give you everything I have."
x
You say, "Is there anything I must do?"
x
God says, "One thing only. Trust me."
*************************
I think this is a message for everyone, but it speaks particularly to the heart of parents. I know the love he is talking about. I know the irony of another human robbing you of sleep, spitting on you, demanding that you clean up after their messes, feed them non-stop...and yet there is this incredible, unexplainable love. This feeling of 'I would do anything for you'. If Carolyn needed an organ - done. If Julia needed a limb - done. I would run into a burning build, jump into a raging river, I would do anything for my children. How amazing is God that he demonstrated this powerful love through an example that reaches across all cultures and creeds? I just think that's awesome and had to share...

No comments: