Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dear Grandma,
It's been three years.
Three years.
Ugh.

My girls are getting so big.
I am working on the East Coast.
Wearing fancy clothes that I know you would like.

Three years.

I would have stayed longer that Tuesday.
If I could have a do-over I would have stayed until midnight.
To hear your voice one last time.
Had I known.
I would have stayed longer, if I had known.
I wouldn't have hurried off.
I know you would say "Oh, Kate, don't worry about it".
But I do.
I would have stayed longer.
I'm sorry.

I think about you every day.
I think about you when the girls get presents in the mail.
I think about all of the birthdays in Albuquerque.
I think about when I was little, and you would send a box full of gifts.
Shirts that said "Someone in Kansas City Loves Me".
I think about you ALL the time.

I know you are still here.
I see you in my hands, they look a lot like yours.
I see you in my girls and their determination.
I see you in my dreams sometimes and I like that a lot.

I can't believe it's been three years.

I miss you.
Ugh.
I miss you.

And I love you,
Katie Beth

1 comment:

Kari said...

This made me cry. My heart goes out to you every time you talk about your grandma. I miss mine too. WHY didn't I come home from college that night when she was in the hospital AGAIN? Ten years she's been gone. Ugh, is right. Hugs to you.