Monday, December 7, 2009

A letter from Cubeville, at Christmas time.
x
To whom it may concern:
(what a fantastic way to start a letter...to whom it may concern...excellent)
x
I work in a cube. A rather cold cube at times but cozy for the most part, outfitted with a white board, dual monitors, and a Dilbert cartoon. Pictures of my children can be seen from all angles, and are a good conversation starter if the conversation lags, and the conversation nearly always lags. I work with engineers.
x
I am an engineer. (Crap, is this conversation lagging?)
x
On the way to work I sometimes get a frappucino at Starbucks, those days are always good days. Sometimes for lunch I buy a Coke, again a guarantee to a great afternoon. Most of the time (read: every hour) I worry about my food=happiness equation and ponder if it is truly a warped and twisted way of getting through life. Then I buy a Snickers and my mind calms a bit.
x
I work on spreadsheets and other things with numbers. I like numbers. Not as much as frappucinos. I don't get to talk much, so I check Twitter. But its not the same. Well, actually engineers generally communicate in 140 characters or less, but that's about all the two have in common.
x
I wish my job involved more talking. Really, next to forest ranger or train conductor, I would say engineers are some of the un-talkiest people I know.
x
When I was in 7th grade my guidance counselor told me my career assessment had assessed that I would not like being a forest ranger because they are alone a lot. Assessment correct.
x
Anyway, the point was to say "Merry Christmas" from Cubeville. So there you have it. In the most awkward way a girl can possibly say it sitting in a grey and blue cube at the most wonderful time of the year.
x
With love,
K

4 comments:

Kari said...

A good end to the evening. (Not that you were rambling, but that sounded a lot like my rambling. :))

Anna said...

we are definitely sisters. when i have to do math homework in the library for long amounts of time i promise myself snickers... last time i paid in pennies. the snack counter lady doesn't like me, i'm pretty sure.

& then, after i finish a problem with extra tough stuff,(fractions, square roots, etc!) i pay for a soda in scrounged up nickels. well because the vending machine doesn't take pennies...and everytime i remember that, i yell "THIS IS AMERICA, WHY WON'T YOU ACCEPT MY MONEY?!!?"

oh, and the ramblings totally prove that we are sisters.

i love you.

Anna Ander said...

Merry Christmas! If it's any comfort at all I do not work in cubeville and do get to talk all day and don't have an engineer in sight, but s t i l l do the same food/happiness calculations. And why not? Coffee and chocolate make any workday better. Not to mention an excellent lunch.

You're a good writer! And the girls are bloomin' gorgeous.

Ross Christopher said...

gr8 post k8e!

-ross