Sunday, July 13, 2008

Friday's Fond Memory
Birth of Nieces and Nephews
x
Celebrating the birth of a new baby is one of the most intimate, and miraculous experiences I've had the priveledge of being a part of in my life. When you are not only celebrating the baby, but the fact that they are family, that our family just grew by one, that is all the more wonderful, something you remember forever. I have had this memorable and fun experience five times so far, with many more still to come I hope. When Nathan was born I left work in the middle of the day to witness my sister in labor (something I'd never seen before in person, but after the epidural she just looked like someone taking a relaxing rest in an uncomfortable bed with an incredibly awkward nightgown on). Sam was next, I listened to my voicemail right before an important meeting and heard 'she's in labor' and could hardly sit still through the next couple of hours - having had C by this point, my anxiety for fellow-baby-bearers was high. We drove out to visit the little guy that evening in Columbia and C's cousins grew to two. That was the beginning of 2006, by July I was pregnant with J and welcoming baby Natalie. The night she was born I told my sister, "Call me as soon as it's time to push, I'll be there!" - which turned out to be about 3AM, but I was SO there. Being at the hospital in the middle of the night is very quiet and peaceful, and she looked a lot like her big brother. J was born that December and by the next August we were welcoming baby Noah. C was old enough by now to understand that we were waiting in the waiting room for a 'baby to come out of Emily's tummy' - and once again he looked a lot like his siblings. The latest addition to my nieces and nephews was Joel. I got the call on J's first birthday that he'd been born. I almost cried I was so excited (and exhausted probably from J's whacked sleep habits). Despite the weatherman calling for an ice storm we headed out to Columbia that night and welcomed baby Joel, C in her princess dress and all. I am anxious to welcome the next one, and the next, and the next!

No comments: