Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday's Fond Memory
Mother's Day


So Mother's Day is Sunday (don't say I didn't warn you!). It is a strange holiday in my estimation, as mothers tend to arrange the holiday celebrations (prepare the food, invite the guests, the whole nine yards), but it just feels like self-promotion for Mother's Day. Not only that, but every mother has a mother, so it is like sharing your birthday with someone and in a way becomes awkward. Not that mothers don't deserve some appreciation, don't get me wrong. For instance, take my Grandma (see above from the early 1990s). She made this dress for me to wear to church on Mother's Day when I was in about 4th or 5th grade. She always stepped up to the plate on big projects we needed done. Brandon's mom deserves MUCH recognition at our house, as she never grows tired of watching our little ones week-after-week. And of course my mom, the recipient of many a strange mother's day gift throughout childhood, provides me hours of phone-support every week. Certainly worth celebrating the Moms, but my suggestion is perhaps to break it down into subcategories: Grandmother's Day, Mother-in-Law's Day, Mother's-of-Grown-Children Day, Mother's-of-Small-Children Day. I'll compose my proposition to Hallmark tomorrow!

No comments: