Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday's Fond Memory
The Beauty Pageant
x
I was looking through my old photo albums and ran across this photo...a sure fire way to make you giggle, especially if you know me very well. This was almost 20 years ago to the day. I was seven years old, and our very 'Texas' neighbors in Albuquerque had convinced my mom to enter me into a local beauty pageant. Living in the 'Land of Enchantment' I was the only blonde on stage. My talent was singing an oldies song in a poodle skirt, while nearly every other girl did a Mexican Hat Dance (all of these disparities were not apparent to me until much later in life). I remember sitting with my mom and Grandma (who had flown in from KC for the occasion) in the audience listening to the winners of my 'division' - the Mini-Misses. I was feeling quite sorry for myself as they listed off Best Talent, Most Photogenic, and still my name was not called. Then they announced the "Best Overall" and I thought to myself "well, I guess I can't win that, I never wore overalls!" (truly this memory is clear as day). When they called my name and I went up on stage (and this picture was taken) I kept thinking, "They are going to take this away when they remember that I never wore overalls". After all of the pomp had died down I went back-stage and found my neighbor, whom I asked "What did I win!?!" to which she replied in her very Texas way "Honey! You're top dog!" and I remained very confused!!!

No comments: